Are You Leveraging The Power Of Facebook Retargeting To Get Clients Who Are Already Interested In Your Business?
Facebook has been providing us with innovative social media marketing solutions for years now. Facebook marketing tools are known for being easy to use, and their campaigns have many affordable options.
The biggest mistake I see many people making is they immediately try to sell on Facebook, people nowadays are so busy, yet we expect them to buy whatever we are offering even though they have never heard of us before. With so many ads and offers on Facebook, we have become somewhat blinded to these offers. That is why we have to nurture our audiences first and build trust with them before we actually try to offer them something.
If you’ve been looking into Facebook’s marketing tools, you may have come across ‘Facebook retargeting’. Facebook retargeting is a very powerful tool that allows you to create an audience for your Facebook advertising campaign, which is made of potential customers who have already shown interest in your products or services. The major benefit to this is that this specific audience is more likely to positively respond to an ad campaign, as they have already visited your website.
You have possibly experienced a retargeting campaign yourself, have you ever visited a website and straight after that gone on to Facebook or Instagram and then viewed an ad from the exact same company? That was done via Facebook retargeting!
While Facebook retargeting is a very powerful tool, it is a highly unused option, especially in South Africa. This gives your business a unique opportunity to get a step ahead of your competitors by landing potential customers through a Facebook retargeting ad campaign.
First things first, you need A Pixel Code
If you want to run a Facebook retargeting campaign, you will need one or more pixel codes on your website. A pixel code is a special code that is placed on your site that tracks the visitors you get on various pages of your site and extracts vital information from them, such as their social media details. The pixel code is transparent, and once a viewer has viewed it, they are recorded for having seen that particular page.
So how do you get a pixel code?
I highly suggest you use Facebook Business Manager to create and maintain all your ad campaigns, you can signup for a FREE Facebook Business Manager account here https://business.facebook.com/.
The extra features and options Facebook Business Manager offers make it a no brainer to use it for all your ad campaigns.
Did I mention it is FREE!
Once in Business Manager click on “Business Settings” then on “Data Sources” and then on “Pixels” here you will be able to create a Pixel. Adding your Pixel to your website is also pretty straight forward you can either do it yourself following Facebook’s guide or you can ask your web developer to add it for you.
Once added, make sure to test your Pixel to make sure it is firing. An easy way to test it is by adding this chrome extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/facebook-pixel-helper/fdgfkebogiimcoedlicjlajpkdmockpc?hl=en this will allow you to visit any site not only yours and test if they have a Facebook Pixel on their site.
Setting Up A Facebook Retargeting Campaign
If you have never set up a Facebook retargeting campaign, don’t stress as it is fairly simple. The steps to setting up a Facebook retargeting campaign include:
- Go to Business Manager and Select ‘Audiences’
- Create a Custom Audience – What you’ll do next is click on ‘Create Audience’. You should find this button on the top left. The dropdown menu will allow you to “Create a Custom Audience” choose “Website” as your source, this will give your advertising campaign an audience that has already shown interest in your business by showing you only an audience that has previously visited your website.
- Go into Detail – Facebook gives you the opportunity to go into further detail when choosing who you exactly would like to target in your audience. You can choose people who have spent a certain amount of time on your website as well as people who visited certain pages on your site.
Create a Lookalike Audience
If you find or think that the number of people who actually visited your site is rather low, you can take advantage of Facebook’s Lookalike Audience.
What is a Lookalike Audience?
A Lookalike Audience is an Audience that Facebook’s Algorithm comes up with people who have similar characteristics as your Pixel Custom Audience. By using this feature you can target a broader amount of people.
Setting a Lookalike Audience up is also very similar to setting up your Pixel audience:
- Go to Business Manager and Select ‘Audiences’
- Create a Lookalike Audience – What you’ll do next is click on ‘Create a Lookalike Audience’. You should find this button on the top left under “Create a Custom Audience”. The dropdown menu will allow you to “Create a Lookalike Audience” choose your Pixel as your source.
- Go into Detail – Facebook gives you the opportunity to go into further detail when choosing who you exactly would like to target in your audience. You can choose people based on their location and you can also choose how similar you want your Lookalike Audience to be compared to your Pixel audience, they offer you a scale starting from 1% which is very similar to your Pixel up to 10% which gives you a bigger, broader audience.
Tips for a Successful Facebook Retargeting Campaign
Just like any other Facebook ad campaign, a retargeting campaign requires effective planning for it to be a success. You will need to think about your advertising budget, how many people you want to target, and how many ads will be part of the campaign.
You will also need a clear vision and goal in mind. What is it that you want to sell to your retargeted audience? How will you make your ad campaign appealing to an audience that has already shown interest?
It is also very important to track the metrics of your campaign so that you can use the statistics for future campaigns by seeing what worked and what didn’t.
The Benefits Of A Facebook Retargeting Campaign
A retargeting ad campaign has many benefits over your usual campaigns, including:
- Generation of more sales
- Reaching an audience that has already shown interest
- Increasing your brand awareness
- Gaining insight into your target audience
- Highly Targeted
The benefits of this type of campaign are outstanding, and your chances of success using a retargeted audience are much better than any other custom audience.
Remember Facebook actually wants your ads to work, if your ads work you are more likely to come back and spend more money on your ads which is obviously what Facebook wants. That is why they have created an ad algorithm “Facebook uses the ads algorithm to determine the best ads to show the best audience while also creating a good user experience.” (Social Media Examiner) add to that the data that they have on people which is actually scary. This is why Facebook Ads continue to show growth year on year.
Instead of fighting it (the data they have on us), as it is obviously not going away we should rather leverage it to grow our businesses.